|Birth name||Aituaje Aina Vivian Ebele Iruobe|
|Genres||Pop, R&B, Hip hop Soul, soul, blues, Rock|
|Years active||2007 –present|
|Associated acts||Diamond Platnumz, P-Square, Banky W, M.I, Muna, Omawumi, eLDee, Lynxxx, Patoranking|
Aituaje Iruobe (born September 1), known as Waje (an acronym for “Words aren’t just enough”), is a Nigerian singer whose vocal range covers three octaves. She participated in the remake of P-Square’s “Omoge Mi” and featured as the female voice in the duo’s 2008 hit track “Do Me”. She was also featured on Banky W‘s “Thief My Kele” and M.I‘s “One Naira”. In 2016, she was one of the four judges in the inaugural season of The Voice Nigeria.
Waje was born in Akure, Ondo State in Nigeria then moved to Benin City, Edo State and was raised by her parents. She was the first child and the first daughter in her family. Her parents got divorced when she was young, and had to overcome difficult situations.
Waje attended the Word of Faith Group of Schools and joined the choir. As a young singer she once sang gospel tunes to the delight of the late Archbishop Benson Idahosa of Church of God misson int. Archbishop Benson was quite impressed by her singing and decided to help her throughout her whole secondary school days. She then moved to Nsukka to receive a degree in social work at University of Nigeria. During her school years, Waje focused on her musical works such as school concerts and fellowships. She listened and learned from her mentors such as Whitney Houston and Aretha Franklin to improve her music.
Waje’s vocal range covers three octaves. She was found singing in church as a young lady whose love for humanity led her to study social work at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka(UNN). Being very productive whilst in school, Waje worked part-time in tourism. She however still believed she could touch a lot more with her singing talent. This gave her the drive to stay focused in her first love, music. In 2007, Waje decided to take the next step and fully launch her music career. She was still a student at the time and paid her dues by doing lots of free shows and gigs, singing at every given opportunity.
The first major spotlight she received was in 2008, when she featured in the P-Square hit track titled “Do Me”. This track was critically acclaimed across and was widely known across Africa and some parts of Europe. This helped boost her career a little further, after which she participated in Advanced Warning (a reality TV show which featured artists that are on the verge of a breakthrough). The reality show was organised by MTV Base South Africa and Zain Nigeria, where she came out as the first runner up.
In 2010, 360nobs.com did a special spotlight on Waje with the emphasis “Words Aren’t Just Enough….I’m Speechless”
Waje has shared the stage with various international artists such as Wyclef Jean in South Africa, opening for Kerry Hilson during a show organised in Calabar, and has also worked with a lot of artists who had hit singles, including “One Naira” with M.I, “Do Me” with P-Square and more. She also collaborated with Dencia on “True Love”  and has a list of songs that have received a number of award nominations and winnings. She released her self-titled debut studio album in 2013.
Waje has also made an acting debut on the movie called Tunnel, with Femi Jacobs, Patrick Doyle, Nse- Etm, Lepacious Bose, and others. This is a 2014 Nigerian drama film directed by Stanlee Ohikhuare which is a story about a young pastor’s life, journey and his fulfillments.
Waje worked with the youths of her community through an organisation “Waje’s Safe House”, where she teams up with other NGOs quarterly to help fight for their cause. The first project supported under Waje’s Safe House was the Mental and Environmental Development Initiative for Children, assisting the Project HELP (Help Educate the Less Privileged) which the goal of raising funds for allowing children to continue their studies in the school in Makoko, through Ring Back Tones with her hit singles “Oko Mi” and “I Wish”.
|2016||Strong Girl (Remix) As featured artiste||N/A|||
Awards and nominations
- BEST RHYTHM AND BLUES SINGER 2011 CITY PEOPLE ENTERTAINMENT AWARDS,
- BEST FEMALE VOCALIST 2011 NIGERIAN ENTERTAINMENT AWARDS,
- BEST FEMALE VOCALIST 2011 HIPHOP WORLD AWARDS (HEADIES),
- BEST AFRICAN ART 2011 DEAFA AFR0-EUROPE AWARDS,
- BEST VOCAL PERFORMANCE 2010 SOUTH SOUTH AWARDS,
- BEST FEMALE PERFORMER 2010 SOUTH SOUTH AWARDS,
- MUSICIAN OF THE YEAR 2013 CITY PEOPLE AWARDS
- BEST REGGA/DANCE HALL HEADIES 2013
- Grammy Award for Best Rap/Sung Collaboration
- NIGERIAN MUSIC VIDEO AWARDS 2009 (best new video)
- DYNAMIX AWARDS 2009 (best new act)
- HIP-HOP AWARDS 2010*HEADIES* (best vocals)
- CITY PEOPLE AWARDS 2011(best r&b female)
- NIGERIAN ENTERTAINMENT AWARDS 2011 (best pop/r&b artist of the year.best new act of the year)
- HEADIES 2011 (best vocal performer female,best r&b single)
- EXQUISITE LADIES OF THE YEAR 2011 (female music art of the year)
- CHANNEL O MUSIC VIDEO AWARDS 2011 (most gifted female video)
- NIGERIAN MUSIC VIDEO AWARDS 2011 (best contemporary afro video)
- DEAFA AFRO-EUROPE ENTERTAINMENT AWARDS 2011 (best African art)
- BEST RECORDING OF THE YEAR 2013 (I WISH, W.A.J.E ALBUM)
- BEST REGGA/DANCE HALL 2013 (I WISH, W.A.J.E ALBUM)
- BEST VOCAL PERFORMANCE FEMALE 2013 (I WISH, W.A.J.E ALBUM)
- BLACK CANADIAN AWARDS 2014 (BEST INTERNATIONAL ACT)
- WORLD MUSIC AWARDS 2014 (WORLD BEST ALBUM)W.A.J.E
- WORLD MUSIC AWARDS 2014 (WORLD BEST LIVE ACT)
- WORLD MUSIC AWARDS 2014 (WORLD BEST FEMALE ENTERTAINER)
- WORLD MUSIC AWARDS 2014 (WORLD BEST ENTERTAINER)
- ELOY AWARDS 2014 (BEST FEMALE ARTIST)
- “Meet the Most Female Bankable Musicians of 2014”. Retrieved 29 January 2015.
- “Regret my past? No way – Waje”. Retrieved 29 January 2015.
- “Waje”. Retrieved 14 February 2015.
- “Bishop Idahosa Took Care Of Me During Secondary School–Waje”. mordernghana.com. Retrieved 23 March 2010.
- “The different faces of Waje – Which do you prefer?”. Retrieved 29 January 2015.
- “Words Aren’t Just Enough….I’m Speechless”. 360nobs.com. 360NoBS. Retrieved 6 August 2015.
- “VIDEO: Waje – Coco Baby Ft. Diamond Platnumz”. 360nobs.com. 360NoBS. Retrieved 5 August 2015.
- “Waje – Left For Good ft Patoranking & Godwin Strings”. 360nobs.com. 360NoBS. Retrieved 4 August 2015.
- “ONE Campaign”. Retrieved 21 May 2015.
- “Waje and Bono of U2 meet”. Retrieved 21 May 2015.
- Izuzu, Chidumga. “”The Voice Nigeria”: 2face Idibia, Waje, Timi Dakolo, Patoranking announced as judges”. pulse.ng. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- Egole, Anozie (24 August 2013). “Waje, Lepacious Bose, others in Turnel”. Vanguard. Retrieved 3 March 2015.
- “Nothing to hide, I’m a proud single mother – Waje”. Retrieved 14 February 2015.
- “Waje: Life’s Beautiful As Single Parent”. Retrieved 14 February 2015.
- “Meet WAJE’s hot younger sister”. Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- “Waje Launches Safe House”. Retrieved 14 February 2015.
- “D’banj Bono, Waje, Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde star in conscious ‘Strong girl’ remix”. Pulse.com.gh. David Mawuli. Retrieved 9 February 2016.
- “Exquisite Lady of the Year (ELOY) Awards Seyi Shay, Toke Makinwa, Mo’Cheddah, DJ Cuppy, Others Nominated”. Pulse Nigeria. Chinedu Adiele. Retrieved 20 October 2014.
- Best reggae or Dance hall 2013 : I wish
- Black Canadian awards 2014 : Best international act
- World music awards 2014 : World best live act
- World music awards 2014 : World best album
- World music awards 2014 : World best female artist
- World music awards 2014 : World best entertainer
- Waje’s youtube
- WAJE on Facebook
- Waje on Twitter