The verdict comes after two attorneys for the musician stepped down from the case, citing “ethical obligations.”

by

R. Kelly has lost a lawsuit filed against a Georgia concert venue after failing to show up to a Chicago federal courtroom hearing last week.

The suit was filed last year by Kelly’s management company, RSK Enterprises, claiming breach of contract against Georgia’s Macon Coliseum-operator Comcast Spectacor over a concert in February 2017. The case alleged that Comcast Spectacor never wired Kelly $100,000 owed for a performance he delivered. The musician sought that amount plus damages.

According to Judge John Robert Blakey‘s May 15 filing to dismiss the case, which was first reported by Pitchfork, Kelly had already failed to appear at hearings on April 3 and May 8. The document also notes he had warned Kelly “that any future failures to appear may subject this case to a dismissal for want of prosecution.”

The ruling comes after two attorneys representing RSK Enterprises — Heather Blaise of Blaise & Nitschke, P.C. and Travis Life of Leavens, Strand & Glover, LLC — stepped down from the case on April 25. In their filing, they cited “ethical obligations” as their reasoning.

Following Kelly’s attorneys’ departures, he was ordered to personally appear at the next hearing via a corporate representative for his company or through new counsel — to which he did not comply.

Kelly has been the subject of intense scrutiny following a number of sexual misconduct allegations that have been levied against him in recent months, including claims he has run a cult that grooms women to act as his sex slaves. He has denied those allegations.

Last month, Kelly’s attorney, assistant and publicist all cut ties with the musician.

Billboard reached out to Kelly’s rep for comment but did not hear back at time of publishing.

R. Kelly Says Media Using Sex Allegations to ‘Destroy My Legacy’

Michael Loccisano/Getty Images
R. Kelly attends the Ovadia & Sons front row during New York Fashion Week: Men’s S/S 2016 at Skylight Clarkson Sq on July 14, 2015 in New York City.

Singer R. Kelly says the media is attempting to distort and destroy his legacy by reporting allegations that he sexually mistreats women.

The R&B artist says in a statement Friday that he’s “heartbroken” by the accusations.

Calling himself “a God-fearing man, a son, a brother, and most importantly a father,” Kelly says the media “has dissected and manipulated these false allegations.”

R. Kelly performs in concert during the '12 Nights Of Christmas' tour at Kings Theatre on Dec. 17, 2016 in the Brooklyn borough New York City.

Kelly was acquitted of child pornography charges in Chicago in 2008, but speculation about his alleged sexual misconduct has continued. Last month, the #MuteRKelly campaign was launched.

He says he is currently not the subject of any criminal investigations.

Kelly says the accusations “perpetuated by the media” are an “attempt to distort my character and to destroy my legacy that I have worked so hard to build.”

If you like this, please share!