Lil Kesh in 2016
|Birth name||Keshinro Ololade|
|Born||March 14, 1995
Bariga, Lagos State, Nigeria
Keshinro Ololade (born March 14, 1995), popularly known by his stage name Lil Kesh, is a Nigerian singer, rapper and songwriter. He rose to fame after his chart-topping song titled “Shoki“. Lil Kesh was born and raised in Bariga, a suburb of Lagos State. His music career started in 2012 while rapping among his peers in Bariga until he released “Lyrically”, a single that quickly became popular in Nigerian Universities. In 2015, he was nominated in the Best New Act to Watch category at the 2015 Nigeria Entertainment Awards. Affiliated to YBNL Nation as a recording artist, Lil Kesh is currently signed under his record label YAGI Records, an acronym for “Young And Getting It” and managed by Massive Management
Lil Kesh’s versatility and style of music has been similarized to that of Olamide who raps and sings in his local dialect. However, he has been criticised for using too much vulgar sentences and not finding the right balance in the lyrics of his songs. In an interview with Naij he said,
|“||they are singles not an album, I know the kind of market am directing my songs to, am from the streets, I know what the people from the street want to listen to…they should wait for my album that is expected to drop towards the end of the year. I have very positive songs.||”|
|“Shoki (Remix)” (featuring Olamide & Davido)|
|2015||“Shoki (Female Version)” (featuring Cynthia Morgan, Chidinma, Eva Alordiah)|
|“Is It Because I Love You?” (featuring Patoranking)|
|“Bend Down Select”||Non-album single|
|Year||Album Title||Album Details|
Awards and nominations
During the 2015 Headies Award event, Lil Kesh’s then record label owner Olamide pulled a Kanye West when he blasted the organizers of the award ceremony right on stage during the ceremony for not giving the ‘Next Rated Award’ to Lil Kesh, who he said was supposed to be the winner ahead of Reekado Banks. Olamide’s act threw the social media into a frenzy, hence popularizing “Ko ni da iya anybody” which means “It shall not be well with anybody” in Yoruba.
|2015||2015 Nigeria Entertainment Awards||Best New Act to Watch||Nominated|
|Nigerian Teen Choice Awards||Celebrity Award – Song Of The Year (Shoki)||Won|
|City People Entertainment Awards||Popular Song of the Year (Shoki)||Won|
|2016||The Headies 2015||Next Rated||Nominated|
- Abimboye, Micheal (24 December 2014). “Kiss Daniel, Slyde, Lil Kesh others to rule 2015”. Premium Times. Retrieved 29 October 2015.
- “MUST WATCH! AMBER ROSE Dances To Lil Kesh’s ‘SHOKI’ At D’banj’s Concert”. Information Nigeria. 1 February 2015. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- Akan, Joey (27 April 2016). “Lil Kesh:Olamide sets standard with new business structure”. Pulse Nigeria. Retrieved 27 April 2016.
- Alawode, Abisola (30 August 2017). “Lil Kesh joins a new management company”. Naij. Retrieved 22 September 2017.
- Lala, Emmanuel (17 March 2015). “Why YBNL’s Lil Kesh Is Hinted as Olamide’s Heir Presumptive”. tooXclusive. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- Ajose, Kehinde (12 September 2015). “I am not doing Hip-Hop for those that understand English alone -Lil Kesh”. Vanguard Newspaper. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- Alawode, Abisola (16 October 2015). “Matters Arising: Lil Kesh’s Depreciating Lyrics”. Leadership Newspaper. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- “Lil Kesh Explains Why He Embraces Vulgar Lyrics In His Music”. Naij. 16 September 2015. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- Hassan, Sanusi (12 June 2015). “Full list of nominees for Nigerian Entertainment Awards 2015”. Nigeria Entertainment Today. Retrieved 29 October 2015.
- “2015 Nigerian Teen Choice Awards”. Nigerian Teen Choice Awards. Retrieved 27 January 2018.
- Amodeni, Adunni (18 August 2015). “Mercy Aigbe, Don Jazzy, Olamide, Others Win Big At City People Awards 2015”. Naija. Retrieved 27 January 2018.
- Akan, Joey (30 September 2015). “Profiling the nominees of the Next Rated category”. Pulse Nigeria. Retrieved 29 October 2015.
- “10 AMAZING THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT LIL KESH”. Evatese. 29 July 2015. Retrieved 28 October 2015.