DURATION – 1 hour 30 minutes.
PRODUCERS – Sarz, Xela, Maleek Berry, Leriq, Beat Freakz, Legendary Beatz, Major Bangz and J – Fem.
After a long wait for the sophomore album of Wande Coal, he finally drops it on us. He titles it ‘Wanted’ which is one word that summarises the anticipation of his fans for a worthy album from such talent that is WANDE COAL. On listening to the album repeatedly, here’s my review of WANTED:
- INTRO feat Seyi Law – Great comic relief from Seyi Law to usher us into the album proper
- ADURA – Firstly, I have to give credit to Sarz for the dope production on this track complementing the undeniable vocals of Wande, who is confessing blessings upon himself with thanksgiving on this track. A likeable song with a catchy chorus.
- SUPERWOMAN – This song was first introduced to me by City fm’s OAP Kemi Smallz. When I asked her during an interview which Nigerian song she was feeling the most at that time, she was quick to jump on this ‘superwoman’ tune as her favorite. She went on to say it was the perfect wedding song any woman would definitely wanna rock to with her man on that special day. I agree. It’s a sweet love song straight from the heart.
- WE BALL – Nice production but this track does not do it much for me. Easily forgettable.
- SAME SHIT FEAT AKA – Wande makes a decent attempt here at sounding like a hip-hop rap head. Rapper AKA’s verses were too short for my liking. Expected more. An okay song. .
- MONSTER – The crisp Legendary Beatz production and Wande’s flow makes the song a cool jam you can bump your head to. Wande came through alright on this.
- SKIT FEAT FALZ – The quirky humorous Falz stops by here, talking in his usual funny tone about the album – how fans have long awaited the album to drop, and the relief after the long wait.
- WANTED – You would expect this to be the best track on the album since it happens to be the album theme song but that usually is not the case. It makes a fairly good theme song though. Can’t deny the chorus is catchy. Dope production by Major Bangz.
- AFRICAN LADY – Another love song for the ladies with a truly African feel but does not come close to the ‘superwoman’ track. This one didn’t do it for me. Not so appealing.
- ASHIMAKPEYIN – Sarz always seems to cherry pick the songs to produce that would end up being popular. The street has already validated this track. What more can I say.
- WEEKEND FEAT MALEEK BERRY –This is a beautiful tune. Good to hear a producer’s vocals on a track. Maleek berry’s voice reminds me of a certain foreign R&B act called Frank Ocean. The song talks about one-night stand ladies who end up wanting more. This track is easily my favorite on the album.
- PLENTY LOVE – I kinda like the feel of this track. It’s a happy kinda song to put you in a good mood.
13. SKIT FEAT JIMMIE – Beat FM’s Jimmie features here and does his thing that I almost thought I was listening to his morning sports show on radio. Nice one repping the album Jimmie.
- MAKE YOU MINE FEAT 2FACE – This track’s pretty average for me even with 2face on it. Its saving grace is probably the decent Maleek berry beat, that’s pretty much it.
- LOWKEY – We have had a fair share of songs with the title ‘lowkey’ in the industry‒from Banky’s own to Flowsick’s (wonder what that dude is up to these days). Perhaps the coded guys that do lowkey things with the ladies would appreciate this one. But in terms of the song appeal, it’s a no-no for me.
- IYAWO MI – Okay, Wande is officially all loved up on this album, ‘cos this is like the third or fourth love song already, but the ladies ain’t complaining, so who am I to. The song title readily brings to mind Timi Dakolo’s ‘Iyawo Mi’ but does not in my opinion match up to Timi’s. That being said, it’s a decent love song.
- JELLY – This one is for the party animals. An up-tempo song you can bump to in your car or at the club.
- BABY HELLO – Arguably the most popular song on the album, ‘baby hello’ is a jam for days!!! It’s the kind of song a deejay must slam on a wedding day during a couple’s grand entrance into the reception hall.
- WANTED REMIX FEAT BURNA BOY – Nothing much here on this remix even with Burna Boy on the hook. Next Please..
- KPONO FEAT WIZKID – The way these artistes coin words beats me, but that’s called being creative. ‘Kpono’ is the kind of song that will grow on you like the usual songs that sound silly at first but end up creeping into your daily playlist. Wizkid adds his ‘flavour’ to the song to make it ‘tasty’ on a Maleek berry beat.
- OUTRO FEAT KING SPESH – King Spesh(got no idea who he is) gives a bowing out tribute to the album as he tells the haters off though in a light-hearted fashion.
- AMORAWA FEAT BURNA BOY – A song for the streets. Burna boy brought his A-game on this one. Not a bad tune.
- MY WAY – Maleek Berry again nailed it here. Safe to say everybody likes this track as it already produced a music video that got good airplay across TV stations. Wande brought his seductive side to this song, which particularly makes it a lady’s favorite I’d say.
Compared to his first album Mushin2Mohits, Wande Coal’s ‘Wanted’ probably doesn’t match up but it’s a fairly decent album. Though there were a couple misses, the album has a good number of hits, therefore worthy of checking out. Out of a 10, I’ll give WANTED a 7.5/10.